Are you a SOUL virgin? How to survive your first SOULCYCLE spin class!
You may have some Soul but if you are a virgin of SoulCycle don’t fret, I am here to help you through your first time.
What even is SoulCycle? To quote their website," SoulCycle is a “45-minute indoor cycling class that features high-intensity cardio, muscle-sculpting strength training, and rhythm-based choreography.” Or as I like to describe it a challenging, fun, efficient spin class in a candlelit room that makes you feel like you are at a dance club – minus the vodka soda.
But really, did you ever wonder why people are so OBSESSED with this workout?
Top Reasons are:
- Caloric burn - You burn a sh*t ton of calories. They estimate you burn on a minimum of 500 calorie per class.
- Short class length - Most Classes are only 45 minutes so they are short and sweet and super-efficient. Think about it, burning 500 calories in 45 minutes is awesome.
- Amazing instructors - Instructors are all young, fit, and VERY attractive. Who isn’t motivated by that?
- Weights/Full body workout – You get a full body workout on the bike by doing movements such as push-ups on the bike. Also, 3/4 of the way into the class you use weights to sculpt your arms, chest, and back!
So are you now ready to take the plunge and try a class?
If you've never taken a spin class in your life then props to you for trying Soul first. Aggressive, I may add, but you can do it. I dragged my friend Sandra to class earlier this year and it was her first time but we sat in the back and she just went at her own pace and copied what everyone else was doing.
Things to know for your first class;
- Positions on the bike - There are 3. Click here for more info.
- What to wear – tank top and workout leggings or form fitting shorts.
- Download the app – You need to download the app, create a profile and book a bike before you show up for class.
- Ask for help! - Get there 20 minutes early. Ask for help! Someone will get you spin shoes, show you how to lock up your stuff, help you get set up on the bike and answer any questions you have.
- Hydrate! – Drink a ton of water.
- Listen to your body – class is as hard as you make it. If you feel like you are going to barf or pass out just sit down and ride slowly.
- Where to sit - You have to go online and reserve which bike you are going to use before class. If you're a total bad as* and brave enough to st in the front, go for it! But know that the front is where the regulars sit so learn from them but don't fault yourself for not keeping up. I reccomend you sit towards the back so you can watch the regulars and mimic their moves. Most times the front rows are filled with super cute girls in sports bras with 6 pack abs which motivate you to work hard in class becuase you want to look like them but secretly you also hate them because you know you won’t ever have their abs!
- May be hard to pop a squat – Your butt may hurt a lot the day after class so it may be hard to sit on the toilet but that is completely normal. No pain no gain!
- Stalking is encouraged - There is a cult following to Soul. People follow certain instructors. They all have different styles and music types (rap, techno etc.) so go online and stalk their profiles and pick the one you connect with most!
- HAVE FUN!!!!!!! – This is the most important thing!!! ! You can’t really screw up in class. You are on a stationary bike so just pedal.
There are a few downsides to these classes.
- Cost - The cost can be pretty hefty – over $30 per class and if you have to rent shoes or buy water it can come to around $40 a class.
- Class availability – The bikes get booked up fast so you need to be on the app first thing Monday at noon when the seats open to book a bike.
- Locations – Although Soul keeps expanding and has almost 100 locations in the US they are only in or near major cities.
Here are my fav instructors at the Manhattan Beach, CA Location.
Alba - her class is ALWAYS FULL. I LOVE her music which is a little techno with some 90’s thrown in there. Also is really funny in class and very high energy.
Matt - He is hot. He is taken but you can look right? Also, he is spiritual and you will leave class feeling really zen.
Maxie - Fun music and she really does a lot of fun moves that work your core.
Chris P - Plays a lot of hip hop which I like because it’s a great beat for spinning.
So have I motivated you to take a class??? YASSSSSSSSSSSSS I know I did. The studios have places in the front of every studio to take cute photos so please snap some photos and then share on Instagram and tag @luv2eatplayrun / hashtag #luv2eatplayrun!
You GOT THIS!
Disclaimer; I filmed the video associated with this post a few years ago. For some reason I didn’t put it online until now but here it is! In the video I mentioned that Soul was 10 years old – it is now it 13 years old. This is not a sponsored post.
Also, click here for actual footage of me in class!